Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Weeki Wachee


To the delight of many of my friends, we went to Weeki Wachee Springs today to see the Weeki Wachee Mermaids.


I did not know how many people I knew have seen this Florida attraction when they were little until I moved here. It seemed to be a big draw 30 or 40 years ago. Yep they still do the famous mermaid feat of eating and drinking underwater!


We saw the Show "Fish tails" A hosted show that takes visitors on a behind the scenes look at how the mermaids having been entertaining visitors for 60 years.


I am glad I finally got to see this. Wish I could go back again soon.


I am not sure who enjoyed this more, the Girls who now want to become mermaids or


The boys...

2 comments:

Leisa said...

OMG! OMG! OMG!.....I can't believe you went there without me. I believe the second picture was the actual mermaid I saw as a kid...no not really I was there in the last sixties/early seventies when I am sure it was in it's heyday.
Believe me it makes a lasting life long impact when you see it at the ripe age of 8!
And yes, I can still do all the meremaid stunts, as I do every year in the lake up north to the delight of all my neices and newphews! Though I do admit I get a tad dizzy nowadays...oops or is that due to the beverages consummed before attempting said mermaid performance!!!
I so jealous!!!!!

Leisa said...

I don't know but I liked the costumes better before all the purple! My mermaids had green tails, as all good mermaids should. None of that Disney/Ariel Mermaid stuff.
Real Mermaids I say...they were real!